Ryazan's main school traces its history back to 1894 when Vera Yekimetskaya, daughter of the local doctor, opened educational courses in her house on Myasnitskaya (currently Gorky) Street. To teach students more effectively, Ms Yekimetskaya had to rent a house on Astrakhanskaya Street. The school was transformed into a gymnasium for women in 1901, with a dedicated three-storey brick building completed in 1904. The latter has been preserved to our days. The gymnasium offered teaching in Russian, French, German, theology, writing, handicrafts, geography, Russian history, mathematics, physics, arithmetics, vocal techniques and natural scienes.
Below is the breakdown of the gymnasium's students by their social class:
- daughters of hereditary nobles – 151,
- daughters of personal nobles and civil servants – 71,
- daughters of clergymen – 30,
- daughters of freemen and merchants – 104,
- daughters of petty bourgeois and craftsmen – 157,
- daughters of peasants – 150.
Similar to other private gymnasiums, the education was fee-based.